Hash brown sticks for on the go, but even cleaner yet are these waffle iron sweet potato hash browns!
- 1 large sweet potato, shredded (Use a grater, or food processor for shredding. I used a mandolin and they still turned out great)
- 3 tbsp of flour (you can use any flour of your choice. I like coconut, garbanzo bean, oat, almond, buckwheat and quinoa flours)
- Butter flavored zero calorie cooking spray (I love Emeril Lagasse’s zero calorie Buttery cooking spray) OR olive oil OR vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp stevia
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper and 1 tsp salt
- Preheat your *waffle iron on a low or medium low setting *(if you do not have a waffle iron, see below for my variations)
- Pat your shredded sweet potatoes dry with a paper towel – get that moisture out!
- Sprinkle the flour and mix (by hand is fine). I call it a dough, it starts feeling that way.
- Once heated, spray with cooking spray then layer the shredded sweet potato on the iron. Thickness mar vary by waffle iron, but I’d say about 1/4″ or less, then you smoosh it down when you close the iron.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until brown and crisp on the outside. The first one is always a botch, so don’t be discouraged!
*If you want to form these for frying, mix 3-4 heaping tablespoons oat flour (you can use any flour of your choice. I like coconut, garbanzo bean, oat , almond, buckwheat and quinoa flours) and then form into logs. I like to squish my logs down so they are thinner and crispier.