I made these a while ago, but am just now getting around to posting!
It sounds strange to have black bean brownies, but you will be surprised how this sloppy gooey batter turns into fluffy chocolate decadence.
This treat is light and cake like. I could taste the black beans in the batter, but mostly because the blended beans were so fragrant. Once baked, the beans and cocoa compliment very nicely.
- 4 eggs (or 1 cup egg beaters)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil or healthy oil of your choice)
- 1 15.5 oz black beans (does not have to be exact), rinsed and drained
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Agave (or 1 cup sugar, Splenda or other sweetener)
- handful of pecans
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate pieces, divided, optional
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, optional
- 1 tsp sugar free coconut flavoring (I used sugar free coffee flavoring/syrup because it also has 0 carbs)
Mix ingredients and pour into a square pan. I used mini muffin pans to make these a 2-bite treat. Just before popping them in the oven I sprinkled a couple chocolate pieces on to each “muffin”.
AGAVE VERSION: Add nuts and bake at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes
SUGAR/SUBSTITUTE VERSION: 350 degrees and 25-30 minutes if you used sugar or a sugar substitute.
Original recipe post from Donloree Hoffman of Bikini or Bust. Thank you for sharing, Donloree!
Brownies with pecans made with agave: Calories 138.75 Protein 3.875 grams, Carbs 22.1, Fat 3.875
Brownies with pecans made with artificial sweetener: Calories 106.85 Protein 3.875 grams, Carbs 14.125, Fat 3.875